Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Cass Clayton

 


 

Music fans who are missing the craft of storytelling through song have gravitated towards Cass Clayton's brutal honesty and clarity of message. "We're All Going Down" is a masterfully told story that plays with dark subject matter both lyrically and instrumentally.

The song's deep, lulling groove harkens back to Mississippi Hill Country gospel music and gradually builds to a screaming modern keys solo and belting vocals. The band's last two albums from 2018 and 2019 have yielded a mature body of work with provoking lyricism and broad influences of funk, soul, blues, and rock. Cass' nondenominational approach and velvety vocal style are held together by a distinctly lyric-centric thread. The band's 2019 album, Play Nice, was #1 in the U.S. on the National R&B Chart for 11 weeks in 2019/20 (Roots Music Report).

 “In ‘We’re All Going Down’ I’m broaching a tough subject, and I have some concerns about the backlash. I don’t ever write something to be controversial, but it seems like I find interest in things that we’re not supposed to talk about. I wanted to write a song about false authority, because it’s a huge issue in the world. I have this huge part of me that won’t go along with the status quo, so this is close to home for me. But the song is also about taking a hard look at our own dark side and not hiding from it."

“I grew up going to my grandma’s Baptist church every week, but my dad would have nothing to do with it. It was a hellfire and brimstone kind of message each week, and Dad was a partier and exactly what the church preached against. But ironically, even though he was an alcoholic, he’s still one of the most ethical people I’ve ever met and has a huge, loving heart. The judgment the church dished out has always been under my skin, so this song got it out once and for all!"

Cass is currently based in Denver, Colorado and tours regionally and nationally. In preparation for the release of a third full-length album, CCB is sharing it's newest single, "We're All Going Down."

 

https://independentmusicpromotionsinc.haulix.com/Media/View/104527 

No comments:

Post a Comment